Monday, February 15, 2016

Time and Tense

Difference between Time & Tense: Time and Tense are two different things. Time means Past time, Present time and Future time. The time is directed as past, present and future in the whole world. Its concept is free from language or grammar. This is a non-grammatical thing, which human beings used to feel even those days when they didn't know any languages. In the contrary, Tense is  totally a grammatical thing. Tense is the study of the forms of the verbs. The structure and treatment of Tense is different in different languages, but the concept of Time is equal to all. I am buying a car next year - In this sentence, the verb is of present tense but it is indicating the future time. The fact is that, the verb in this sentence is of present, still it is showing future time. If both the Time and the Tense were equal, then present tense would show the present time not the future. Exactly Time and Tense are two different things.

Uses of Tense:  Now we are going to understand some main uses of each tense.



I. Simple Present Tense(Present Indefinite Tense)

1. It is used to show Universal truth, Principle and Permanent activity.
Ex - The sun  rises in the east.
        A mother loves her children.
        Two and two is four.

2. It is used to show regular, habitual, repeated and usual work or activity.
Ex - I get up everyday at five o' clock.
        I never tell a lie.
        George and Peter are students.

3. It is used to show possession.
Ex - This book belongs to me.
         He owns a big house.

4. It is used to show Human feelings, emotions and mental activity.
Ex - We love our country.
         I understand your problem.
         You trust in her.

5. It is used to show future event/decision/pre-planned work and also shows future time.
Ex - The President comes here tomorrow.
        He leaves for London next Sunday.
        The plane takes off at 10 a.m.

6. If the Principal clause has future tense, then the Subordinate clause which shows time/condition uses Present tense.
Ex - We shall get wet if it rains.
         I shall teach him if he comes to me.
         If you take medicine, you will get well.

7. It is used to make any past incident clear or even stronger.
Ex - A gang of robbers attacks the village last night.
        They open fire and carry away whatever they see.

8. A newspaper uses present tense to state any past event/incident.
Ex - The Chief Minister challenges the E.C.on many issues.
        Three prisoners escape from jail.

9. It is used for live commentary of any matches or events.
Ex - Watson throws the ball. Dhoni moves a bit and hits the ball and scores six runs.

10. The Exclamatory Sentence which starts with here or there uses present tense to show any work to be continued.
Ex - Here comes the king!
        There goes the bus!

II. Present Continuous/Progressive Tense:  

1. It is used for an action going on at the time of speaking.
Ex - She is playing in the room.
        I am reading a newspaper now.

2. It is used for an action happening about this time but not necessarily at the moment of speaking.
Ex - He is reading mathematics these days.
         I am reading 'Hamlet'. (but I am not reading at this moment.)

3. It is also used to show future event/decision/pre-planned work but for this purpose it is necessary to use the adverbs which shows Future Time.
Ex - The Prime Minister is returning tomorrow.
         I am going to cinema tonight.

4. It is used to show intention or likelihood of any work and defines future time.
Ex - I am going to die.
        We are going to play the match.

Note: The following verbs are not generally used in Present Continuous Tense - 
(a) Verbs of perception: see, hear, smell, notice, feel, taste.
(b) verbs of appearing: appear, look, seem
(c) verbs of emotion, state of mind or thinking: want, wish, desire, feel, like, dislike, love, hate, hope, doubt, believe, disbelieve, think, suppose, agree, consider, remember, forget, know, understand, mean mind.
(d) Verbs denoting possession: have, own, posses, contain, consist of, belong to.

III. Present Perfect Tense

1. This tense is the mixture of past and present. It shows a kind of work which is done in Past time but is related to Present, which means perfection or implication present time.
Ex - He has seen the Taj Mahal.
         I have remembered my leeson.

2. It is also used to show the work which started in the past but is continue in the present. For and since is also used for this kind of sentence.
Ex - We have lived in this house since 1990.(still living)
         I have been ill since Monday.(Still I am ill.)

Note 1: The adverbs/adverbials ever, never, always, occasionally, often, several times, already, yet, just, lately, recently, so far, up to now, up to the present etc. are not used with this tense.

Note 2: Past time denoter like ago and so on are not used with this tense.
Ex - He has come yesterday. ( Incorrect)
        He came yesterday. ( Correct)
         I have seen him two years ago. ( Incorrect)
         I saw him two years ago. ( Correct)

IV. Present Perfect Continuous Tense

1. It is mainly used to show the work which started in the past but is continue in the present.
Ex - He has been sleeping for two hours.
         I have been reading since 9 o'clock.

2. It is also used to express the work which started in the past, continued for some time and recently closed.
Ex - I am tired; I have been running round the town all day.
        Someone has been wearing my shirt.

V. Simple Past Tense

1. It is used to show the works which ended in the past.
Ex - I met him yesterday.
        Newton discovered the laws of gravitation.

2. It is used to describe the situation related to past time.
Ex - It was very hot.
        She was a good girl.

3. It is used to show the habitual woks of the past.
Ex - He always advised me.
         I went home on Sundays.

4. Sometimes it is used to show a work continue in the past.
Ex - While they danced, we sang.
        When the child played, the mother cooked food.

5. It is used after As if, As though, I wish, If only, It is time etc. to show unreal past.
Ex - He talks as if he were my boss.
         It is time we started playing tennis.

VI. Past Continuous Tense

1. It is mainly used to show a work continue in the past.
Ex - They were walking.
         It was raining.

2. It is used to express the condition in the past where second work was already continuing at the time an incident/event occurred.
Ex - I was reading when he came in.
        The sun was shining when he went out.

3. It is used to show two different works at the same time in the past.
Ex - While he was dancing, I was singing.
        While the child was sleeping, the mother was doing the     domestic work. 

VII. Past Perfect Tense

1. It is used as the Past Equivalent of Present perfect Tense in various circumstances.
Ex - I have been ill for ten days.(Present Perfect Tense)
        I had been ill for ten days.(Past Perfect Tense)
        He has not drunk for ten years.(Present Perfect Tense)
        He had not drunk for ten years.(Past Perfect Tense)

VIII. Past Perfect Continuous Tense

1. It is used to show any work that continued for some time in the past.
Ex - I had been reading.
        They had been fighting for ten years.

IX. Simple Future Tense

1. It is used to show a work that will complete in future in a proper way.
Ex - I shall go to London tomorrow.
        He will help me.

2. It is also used to show will, determination, threat/command, intention etc.
Ex - I will serve the nation.
        You shall come in time.

X. Future Continuous Tense

1. It is used to show a work that will complete in future at certain time.
Ex - He will be sleeping then.
         I shall be staying there.

XI. Future Perfect Tense

1. It is used to show a work that will have completed in future at its scheduled time.
Ex - I shall have finished the job by that time.
        He will have come before I sleep.

XI. Future Perfect Continuous Tense

1. It tells about a work that will continue for some time in future.
Ex - I shall have been reading for two years.

Worked Out Examples

1. She ...... to school everyday.(goes, is going)
2. When I reached the station, the train ..... left.(has,was,had)
3. The P.M. ...... for Delhi tomorrow.(leaves,has left)
4. Ram ...... gone before you came.(has,had)
5. He talks as if he ..... my master.(was,were)
6.They ..... in Delhi since 1950.(lived,have lived)
7. Everything that ...... is not gold.(shines,is shining)
8. By this time tomorrow I ....... home.(shall reach,shall have reached)       
9. We shall play if the headmaster ...... us.(allows, allowed)
10. I wish my brothers ..... alive.(was, were)


[ Ans - goes, had, leaves, had, were, have lived, shines, shall have reached, allows, were ]

4 comments:

  1. Thank You Sir for your post. It really helped me in my study. I request to post some tough topics like voice, narration etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for your feedback. Stay in touch. I'll post your desired topics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks For your content. Especially the uses of tense is great. I come over a variety of uses of tense for the first time. Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your support. It,s really nice.

    ReplyDelete